Charleston, WV | Posted 7/28/2020
The West Virginia Tourism Office seeks an Outdoor Recreation Coordinator to support its marketing and industry development efforts.
This position will be responsible for programs that support industry development in outdoor recreation. Sample duties include, but are not limited to:
- Build and maintain an inventory of all outdoor recreation opportunities within West Virginia’s tourism industry, including but not limited to trails, campsites, climbing routes, etc.
- Develop new industry programs that provide support for and grow West Virginia’s outdoor recreation industry.
- Create and manage a variety of marketing projects that promote West Virginia’s four seasons of outdoor recreation, including website content, social media executions and print collateral projects.
- Ability to write and provide content that supports visitor needs as they relate to outdoor recreation in West Virginia, including insider tips, required gear, peak seasons, etc.
- Monitor industry-wide trends and look for research that can help support and grow outdoor recreation in West Virginia.
- Serve as the Tourism Office’s liaison for a variety of outdoor recreation grant programs available to partners within the industry.
- Ability to input day-to-day project details (timelines, milestones, feedback/review deadlines, creative deadlines, analytics) into the Tourism Office’s project management software.
In this role, we are seeking a self-starter who can work within timelines, be creative, and find ways to recruit more residents and visitors to West Virginia’s abundant outdoor recreation assets to grow this sector of the industry. Additional knowledge and skills required include:
- Ability to multi-task, organize, and prioritize numerous projects and complete them under time constraints.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with different teams and independently.
- Organized, detail-oriented, and excellent time management skills.
- Flexible with changing priorities.
- Demonstrated interest in the hospitality/tourism industry.
- Ability to travel on occasion to local training or seminars.
A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as parks and recreation, marketing, advertising, communications, or business, is required.
This position will report to the Director of Partner Programs and work closely with the Marketing and Public Relations and Executive teams. The job is located at the State Capitol in Charleston and works full-time regular business hours. Competitive pay and benefits. Some travel required.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to Kara.M.Gillenwater@wv.gov. Cover letters may be addressed to Commissioner Chelsea Ruby.